Congratulations on your acceptance to UNH! We're looking forward to having you with us this fall and hope you'll join one or more of the bands. Our ensembles are not just for music majors! In fact, the Wildcat Marching Band, Beast of the East Band, and Concert Band are made up primarily of non-music majors. If you want to perform, we have a place for you.
Wondering what to do next? Read on!
- Check our "JOIN!" page over the summer for updates.
- Come by the Department of Music table at the Resource Fair during your June Orientation. Here, you'll have a chance to ask questions, get free stuff, and let us know you're interested. There will also be information about the other ensembles, such as jazz band, chorus, and orchestra. All of our student ensembles are open to everyone on campus, not just music majors (although auditions are required for acceptance to some).
- Register for band at orientation, if you can. You can register for only 18 credits initially, but can actually take up to 20 (and can even petition to go over 20 credits without paying more if the additional credits are bands). You can add more when the add/drop period begin in September. Here are the course numbers:
- Wildcat Marching Band (UNH Marching Band): MUSI 454 (0/1 credit)
- Beast of the East Band (Pep Band): MUSI 462 (0/1 credit)
- Wind Symphony: MUSI 452 (1 credit)
- Symphonic Band: MUSI 453 (1 credit)
- Concert Band: MUSI 451 (1 credit)
- Join our Facebook group here and/or fill out our information form to get on our mailing list. Information about the upcoming season will be sent out in June.
- Clear your schedule for our preseason band camp, which starts the Tuesday or Wednesday before classes (two days earlier for drumline and colorguard). You'll move into your dorm room for the year at this time while learning our marching style, pre-game show, and some of our half-time show.
- Check the marching band page in mid-May to find forms to complete to officially join. Deadlines for these forms are in July and are very important as we have to meet deadlines of our own to reserve your dorm room for band camp and order any supplies you need.
- Register for marching band when you add your classes during June orientation (you can add it for 0 credits if necessary). You don't have to register at that time in order to become a member, but you'll be asked to add it in the fall, so it's easier to do it when you initially register for classes. At the very least, make sure you keep our rehearsal times free (MWF 6:00-8:00 PM).
Wind Symphony/Symphonic Band/Concert Band
- Check the website over the summer for audition information. Auditions are required for acceptance into the Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band, but are for seating purposes only in the Concert Band.
- Sign up for an audition time in the PCAC (Paul Creative Arts Center) as soon as you get on campus in the fall. Auditions are held the first week of classes. More information will be available here as auditions approach.
- Don't worry about which band you should register for. If you register for one but get placed in another, you can make changes to your schedule during the first few weeks of classes. We'll ask you which bands you're interested in auditioning for when you come in for your audition. We'll also ask about scheduling conflicts.
- Wind Symphony: MWF 11:10-12:30 PM
- All or almost all music majors
- Symphonic Band: TR 3:40-5:00 PM
- Mostly music majors, some non-majors
- Concert Band: TR 5:40-7:00 PM
- Mostly non-majors, some music majors
- Wind Symphony: MWF 11:10-12:30 PM
Beast of the East Band
- Rehearsals for the Beast of the East Band start later in the semester, so communication is very important to find out when they start. Please register for the course either at June orientation or during the add/drop period during the first few weeks of classes.
- Fall rehearsals are sporadic, but usually start a week or two before the first hockey game. Rehearsals are during a regular marching band rehearsal (but is held in lieu of marching band). Beast of the East Band rehearsals are usually on Monday nights, 6:10-8:00 PM. A calendar with firmer dates will be available in September.
- You may elect to join second semester (starting in January). Rehearsals are also Mondays 6:10-8:00 PM second semester.
Keep checking the website for updates! We look forward to having you with us!