Not sure where to go, what to do, and when on your first day of band camp? Here's your guide:
The University of New Hampshire Wildcat Marching Band, or "WMB," has a tradition of being one of the most spirited organizations on campus. Made up of students from the entire campus, with majors ranging from music education and performance to mechanical engineering and equine science, the WMB performs at all home football games and several other regional exhibitions and parades. Membership in the WMB is open to ALL students regardless of experience level. In fact, a majority of the band members are non-music majors and the band's GPA is consistently above the university average.
The season begins one week before classes start with band camp. After band camp, the band rehearses every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 6 to 8 PM. The WMB also meets Saturday mornings when there are home games to refine the show and go over the details for the day.
After rehearsals and games, many band members hang out and do social things together. Friendships are formed that last for life.
This went home to prospective members of the 2014 Wildcat Marching Band. If you didn't get it, read on!
- Sunday, August 24th: Drumline, Colorguard, and WMB Council arrive
- Wednesday, August 27th: Winds arrive
- Band camp is required for all WMB members as we learn a very high percentage of material during this time
- A detailed daily schedule will be available later this summer
- We work around “Wildcat Days” events for first-year students
- Wednesday, September 3rd: First regular rehearsal after band camp
- Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 6:00–8:00PM
- Don't forget to register for MUSI 454
- If you don't pre-register, at least make sure you leave rehearsal time free in your schedule
- Saturdays before football games
- Regular rehearsals end when the football season ends. If we are involved in playoffs, brush-up rehearsals may be scheduled during regular rehearsal time.
- 6 home football games
- 1 away football game
- 2 exhibitions
- 1–2 parades
- Various game-day pep rallies
- 1 men’s hockey game (on the ice)
- 1–2 other on-campus events
- FLORIDA trip in January! Performances at Walt Disney World and Universal Studios
How to join
- Fill out the Participation Form
- Due July 25th
- Most important thing to do to join!
- This allows us to reserve your housing and meals for band camp and make sure will have everything you need.
- Fill out the Order Form - Due July 25th
- Check for required vs. optional items
- Register for MUSI 454 – CRN: 10138
- May be taken for 0 or 1 credit: your choice. No difference in expectations.
- If you forgot or didn't know to register it can still be added during the first few weeks of classes.
- Don't miss out on any important information!
- Join our Facebook group
- Sign up to get text notifications. Text "Follow WMBMembers" (no quotes) to 40404.
- Prepare for the season! Get some exercise, and keep your playing or spinning chops in shape. Music, recordings, and drill will be posted on our Download Parts page as they are completed. See the Facebook group or fill out the Participation Form to get login information.
- Drumline, placement auditions are held over the summer either in person or by video. Please see the Drumline Auditions page for more information. This is so you can prepare your parts on the appropriate instrument prior to band camp.
Can't get enough?
We're going to Disney World!
We got into Hogwarts!
The Wildcat Marching Band will be making its triumphant return to Orlando in January 2015. Members of the 2014 band as well as recent graduates will be traveling to Florida to perform at Walt Disney World (and possibly Universal Studios).
Congratulations to the following students, who were selected as student leaders for the 2014 Wildcat Marching Band!
The 2014 University of New Hampshire Wildcat Marching Band has a fun show in store. Imagination brings together music and visual ideas related to imagination, dreams, and play.
Opening with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" as performed by Israel "Iz" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole (complete with ukuleles) the band will keep the lighthearted feel of this version of the well-known song from The Wizard of Oz. From there, we continue into "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
We'll then transition directly into "The Land of Make Believe" by Chuck Mangione, having some fun with the popular latin tune that you just can't help but dance to. Finally, we'll close with "Happy" by Pharrell Williams, including a percussion feature and some surprises at the end.
We'll be using our imagination a lot in this show. Are you a woodwind player who has dreamed of spinning a flag? Ever wanted to play the ukulele? Have you thought about how that balloon or ball or hula hoop could be used on the field? Can you do a stunt we can work into the show? We'll be thinking outside the box and coming up with new ideas between now and the end of the season. Hiding things in plain sight, using instruments and equipment in new ways, and just generally having fun.
Not necessarily representative of our arrangements, but to give you an idea...
Page 1 of 4